I am a single, independent Gemini woman living in Ventura County, CA. This is not meant to be some life changing, awe inspiring dating advice blog; it is just me and my random, some times contradicting thoughts and points of view on dating while living in the suburbs. It's not always easy or fun but this is my life and I hope that my experiences are entertaining or informative; if even just to get to know myself better through the therapeutics of writing, I will continue and write when I feel the need to....I've been at this for YEARS now and have yet to find my prince charming, so follow me through my life as being SINGLE IN THE SUBURBS and be glad you're not me! ;)

April 12, 2011

3/28/2011: Ice Queen/Soul Sister

Monday night, at the bar alone, just having a glass of beer.
The bar is quiet and I am not expecting anything to come of the night other than some fun batter with the bartender while I enjoy my beverage and whatever may be on the television.
I look to my right and see another single girl sitting at the bar. 
This is highly unusual. I am usually the only single girl who also happens to be attractive that sits at bars alone!
I was just telling my parents the night before how I need to focus on making girlfriends...then she talked.
The bartender asked if she would like another drink. She looks at him with a straight face and says "What do you think?"
The bartender looks at me with a look that can only be described as "WHOA...What a BITCH!"
She gets up to go to the bathroom and the bartender and I begin to talk about her and how she must be a miserable person to have a wall up so high. We named her the ice queen. As she was returning we were laughing (at her)...and it just so happened a woman with OBVIOUS fake boobs just left the bar; so when the ice queen looked over at me and asked what we were laughing at, I used the fake boobs as a scapegoat. Ice Queen now letting her guard down a little bit stated she saw them too and how ridiculous they looked.
Bartender and I shared in a giggle yet again.
After about 2 minutes I lean over to the Ice Queen in hopes of clearing my own conscious and let her in on our secret. 
I will either be bitch slapped or make a new friend.
Thankfully the latter was true.
Turns out the Ice Queen is my new Soul Sister. The wall was just the exterior of her sarcastic sense of humor and a way to cope with being a single girl at a bar. I got it- I have a wall normally too when I am alone. I had just been to this particular bar a LOT since they opened and was comfortable with the bartender. Turns out the Ice Queen and I were VERY similar in many different aspects, but we bonded over being single mostly. We ended up talking all night and even returning to the bar a couple days later together.
Ever since we have been joined at the hip. I've met her best friend of 10 years and now the three of us are inseparable. I've already met some interesting and wonderful people thru them, expanding my horizons and helping me to move on from my past, just as I am helping her.
I now have a war buddy to fight on with through this suburban battlefield we call singledom!
(The third friend is married with two amazing kids- all of which I now love as much as my new girlfriends!)

No comments: