I am a single, independent Gemini woman living in Ventura County, CA. This is not meant to be some life changing, awe inspiring dating advice blog; it is just me and my random, some times contradicting thoughts and points of view on dating while living in the suburbs. It's not always easy or fun but this is my life and I hope that my experiences are entertaining or informative; if even just to get to know myself better through the therapeutics of writing, I will continue and write when I feel the need to....I've been at this for YEARS now and have yet to find my prince charming, so follow me through my life as being SINGLE IN THE SUBURBS and be glad you're not me! ;)

August 22, 2014

08/21/14: Mr. Traditional

He was upfront and totally honest when we chatted via text...he had a decent job and 2 kids and was going through a divorce but was at a place where he felt he was ready for a serious relationship if the opportunity presented itself. I was honestly a little excited to meet him in person. It was refreshing to find someone local, good looking and seemingly perfect on paper.


I arrived 10 min late due to traffic and my lack of ability in calculating time and Mr. Traditional was waiting by his (work) truck in the parking lot for me.


"Kristina?" he asked as I walked past my car toward him.
"Maybe" I flirt while squinting my eyes, trying to see him through the bright sunshine.




He pulls out a bouquet of yellow flowers from the bed of the truck and hands them to me.
Immediately I blush and proclaim that no one has brought me flowers on a first date since I was 15. I hug him and he asked if I wanted to put them in the car before we head inside.




"No way! I want to show them off a little" I answer with a huge grin.


We make small talk as we walk to the front door and head inside the CAVE.
The Cave is this wine market and restaurant. The front is a storefront and the back portion is a restaurant with a self serve wine area. You put money on this card and then insert the card into the machines and choose 1oz, 3oz or 6oz of the wine of your choice and it deducts the money from the card. It's pretty cool!


Conversations are open, honest and comfortable during our wine tasting, so much so that we joked about the waitress hating us because every time she would come over to ask what we'd like for dinner we'd say we haven't had a chance to look at the menu yet.
The evening ended around 9:30pm with a hug by the car. He texted when he got home and to make sure I arrived at home safely. A gentleman. I thanked him for an enjoyable evening again and we said goodnight.




The next day we flirted back and fourth via text until I asked "So, do you want to see me again or what? ;)" His response was perhaps a little too upfront and honest....


"...I just didn't have that chemistry that I am looking for..."
It was also full of fluff and compliments but the underlined answer was "NO"


What is this CHEMISTRY ?!


Great conversation, things in common, same outlook on raising kids and family, being attracted to one another, geographically desirable, etc....these things apparently hold no weight or not enough weight compared to this mysterious CHEMISTRY that men these days "need" in order to get to know someone past a first date. I don't get it.




I get that chemistry is important but how can one person feel it and the other not?

No comments: