I am a single, independent Gemini woman living in Ventura County, CA. This is not meant to be some life changing, awe inspiring dating advice blog; it is just me and my random, some times contradicting thoughts and points of view on dating while living in the suburbs. It's not always easy or fun but this is my life and I hope that my experiences are entertaining or informative; if even just to get to know myself better through the therapeutics of writing, I will continue and write when I feel the need to....I've been at this for YEARS now and have yet to find my prince charming, so follow me through my life as being SINGLE IN THE SUBURBS and be glad you're not me! ;)

December 4, 2009

Single In The Suburbs: Introduction

Have you ever felt like the only single person in your town? In your City? In your County? Well, your not alone. Being single in the suburbs can often times make you feel like a leper.
I am Kristina, and this is a new blog about dating from a different perspective then I think you have heard before. Most I have found glorify single life and rave about how glamorous being single can be, surrounded by other girlfriends who also love the dating scene. I am different.
Ever since I can remember, I've wanted to be married and settled down. I was a bride 4 Halloweens out of about 11 I celebrated as a child. Now, as an adult I am one of the only single people I know and have witnessed friends who at one point swore off men all together or didn't believe in marriage, walk down the aisle with a smile. I no longer have single girlfriends to go on the prowl with and no longer enjoy the hunt. I want to find love.

From an early age I can remember being interested in boys and remember my mother always telling me I had to be 16 to date. Being a normal middle school girl, I didn't want to listen and would sneak to the mall or the parks to meet boys. I was the first in my group of friends to kiss a boy: I was 13 years old and my group went to the high school football homecoming game. I was dared to kiss my "school boyfriend" for 5 seconds under the bleachers. I remember it was 5 seconds because my friend Erica had a stop watch. As our lips locked, my girlfriends shouted at the top of their lunges, "TOUCHDOWN". It was both humiliating and fantastic. From those 5 seconds, I was hooked on kissing! For the next several years, I would meet boys before school, after school, during breaks and lunches to make out. I never did anything more than making out, mostly out of fear of my mother and what she would do to me if she found out. once she caught me at the mall with a boy and all we were doing was holding hands...she pulled me out of the mall by my hair, so I didn't want to find out what would happen if I did more then kissing!

On my 16th birthday though, I was finally 5840 days old and I could have a boyfriend! On my 16th birthday I met my first love and was with him for 3 years throughout high school. When it ended, I was devastated, but my loneliness didn't last long. Within a month I had a new boyfriend.
The new boyfriend lasted, well, too long in my opinion but it was a really important relationship in my life. While it did last 3 years, I wasn't that upset when it ended. Within weeks I had met and fallen in love with my ex-husband.

Yes, that's right...I was married at one time. I was 21 years old. Young and naive, and absurdly spontaneous. I met and married this guy within 6 weeks!
While, it did last longer than most expected, we were divorced 3 years later. I will spare you the details...3 months of partying with my single girlfriends later, I was in another long term relationship. This one lasting 4 years.

My point is, since I have been 16 years old, I have been in relationships, never having to do the "Dating Scene" thing.

So now, here I am at 28 and single for the first time in my adult life. It has been about 8 months now and I have hated (almost) every second of it. I am a relationship girl through and through. Besides not knowing the hidden/unspoken dating rules, being the only single person I know now and add in the Internet/Texting which didn't really exist last time I was single, I feel like I am all alone in this "adventure".

You may be thinking that I am hideous looking or super desperate to find a date, or just want to be married and will settle for the first guy that comes along...well, you couldn't be further from the truth. I have a long list of pre-requisites and I am super picky. My list gets longer and longer the more I date and I will not settle until I find the perfect guy for me. I am on a dating website (a free one for now), which is where I have found most of my dates. Others have come from friends of friends or facebook. To ease all the MOMS out there, I am smart and safe while dating, always meeting for the first time in a well lite public place and never do I kiss on the first date (sorry guys!)...

So, to ease my own pain a little and bring a chuckle to your day, I have been and will be writing about my experiences on the dating scene.
My humiliation is your entertainment! 
I hope you enjoy.
XOXO

No comments: