I am a single, independent Gemini woman living in Ventura County, CA. This is not meant to be some life changing, awe inspiring dating advice blog; it is just me and my random, some times contradicting thoughts and points of view on dating while living in the suburbs. It's not always easy or fun but this is my life and I hope that my experiences are entertaining or informative; if even just to get to know myself better through the therapeutics of writing, I will continue and write when I feel the need to....I've been at this for YEARS now and have yet to find my prince charming, so follow me through my life as being SINGLE IN THE SUBURBS and be glad you're not me! ;)

February 27, 2010

The Rules To Online Dating: Chapter 2, Initiating Conact

Do it!
Be the first one to contact..you're the man.
 
"Are you DTF?"
"You into hookups?"
"Want to cuddle?"

All these "openers" mean the same thing and are not appropriate conversation starters. I get it if you are looking for nothing more than a one night stand and you have the confidence of the computer/internet to be able to play the numbers game like no other time in history, but before you hit up a girl, make sure she is not a woman. Signs that she is a woman will include, or rather NOT include a selfie in front of a mirror in a bikini. She will have a well read, thought out paragraph on her online dating profile that may in fact include the fact that she is NOT looking for random hookups. If you had taken a moment to read what she had to say before hitting her up, you might have played things out a little different, or not at all! Too many boys are hiding behind the internet, trying lines and openers they would never in their wildest dreams or drunken binges try in real life! I guess they are figuring if tried out on 20 girls and 1 says yes, they have won. It depends on what it is you are looking for tho guys! Do you REALLY want that one girl that actually is DTF with a stranger from a dating website?

If you really want to start up a conversation with a woman, try reading her profile and ask a question regarding something she said on it. This shows real interest and reading skills that woman find attractive ;)
Simple questions and compliments work best, fellas! Try "You have a great smile, where are you from?" That is, if the dating site or app you are using does not give specific city location.Do not JUST compliment. Chances are, the woman receives many compliments and your's either has to stand out as unique or be combined with a question that she has to answer.

Another starter that works on me most of the time is humor. It better be good or SO SUPER CHEESY that it makes me laugh; I might make fun of you but that's the point; to start a conversation! The way to a mans heart may be food but it is humor that feeds a woman. 

If you are matched up with a woman, MAKE THE FIRST MOVE! In this day and age where the art of chivalry have all but vanished, a woman still likes a man to be man, believe it or not! 9 out of 10 times I have had to start the conversation on dating sites. This saddens me because you are already at a disadvantage and more than likely will not be given a real shot. You're going to have to dig your way out of not being the one to initiate contact!

No comments: